- Serves 4
- Syns per serving 2
- Difficulty Easy
- Time 1 hour
- 12 x Chicken thighs
- 1 x Butternut squash (unpeeled, deseeded and chunked)
- 1 x Red pepper (Sliced)
- 1 x Orange pepper (Sliced)
- 2 x Red onions (Cut into wedges)
- 2 x Courgettes (Chunked)
- 6 x tsps of Jerk seasoning
- 2 x tsps of Lazy Garlic
- 500ml Chicken stock
- 2 x pouches of Uncle Bens Special Mexican Style Rice (or any spicy rice)
- 2 x pouches of Aldi Long Grain Rice (or any plain rice)
This recipe is taken from the Aug/Sept 2016 Slimming World magazine, the dish immediately appealed to me because it involved simply chopping everything up and chucking it all into a big pan! Hence the name one-pan roast chicken! Although it takes an hour in total to complete, there is minimal work required making this an ideal dish when you’re feeling particularly lazy (which I often do nowadays). It is also a fairly cheap dish as it uses chicken thighs instead of chicken breast and minimal other ingredients. I have also made an addition to the recipe by serving it with rice, for a kick of flavour I have mixed the long grain rice with 2 pouches of spicy mexican rice.
- Preheat your oven to 180 (fan).
- Slash each chicken thigh with a knife 2-3 times.
- Transfer the chicken to a large bowl along with the butternut squash, peppers, onions, courgettes and jerk seasoning.
- Toss everything together to coat well.
- Transfer the chicken and veg to a roasting tin (you may have to seperate into two tins if you don’t have a large enough pan), add the garlic and the stock and spray with Frylight.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes, turn everything once to ensure the chicken is cooked through and the veg is nice and tender.
- Microwave all 4 pouches of rice and mix together in a large bowl.
Fantastic flavour! We used a larger quantity of chicken thighs than the recipe stated so we had to tweak the quantities of the other ingredients slightly and spread the roast into two dishes. The spicy rice was a nice addition and worth the extra 2 syns.