- Serves 4
- Syns per serving 4.5 (3 if using dry rice over a rice pouch)
- Difficulty Easy
- Time 30 minutes
- 5 x Chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
- 1 x Onion (chopped)
- 1 x Green pepper (chopped)
- 2 x Carrots
- 435g tin of Pineapple chunks (MUST be in own juice)
- 4 x tbsps of the Pineapple juice drained from the tin
- 1 x tsp of Lazy Garlic (or 1 clove)
- 2 x tbsps of Cornflour
- 2 x tbsps of Tomato puree
- 2 x tbsps of Red wine vinegar
- 3 x tbsps of Soy sauce
- 4 x Pouches of long grain rice
The original recipe for this was found in the Slimming World Fakeaway book but as we are a family with a big appetite (he he) the quantites were increased (slightly) and I substituted chicken thighs for chicken breasts. In the past (The dark before slimming world past) I have made many sweet & sour chicken meals with jars of sweet & sour sauce and we did get very sick of it, but we havent had it for a while and this is the first time I’ve tried a slimming world version.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan or wok over a high heat and spray with Frylight.
- Place the chicken in the pan and fry for around 5 minutes or until browned and then transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, pepper and carrots to the wok and cook for 3 minutes and then re-add the chicken to the pan and fry for a further 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce mix the pineapple juice with the garlic, cornflour, tomato puree, red wine vinegar, soy sauce and 200ml of water.
- Stir the sauce into the chicken and add the pineapple chunks and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with rice!
Very nice! It didn’t have that really sickly sweet taste that a lot of sweet & sour sauces you buy in the jar do. It was a very subtle sweet & sour flavour that you could eat a lot of! and we did! The portions were very generous and it was very filling, perfect Saturday night meal in.