- Serves 6
- Syns per serving 1ish (8 syns for the whole cake)
- Difficulty Easy
- Time 45 minutes
- 60 grams of Sweetener
- 50 grams of self raising flour
- 2 x Lemons
- 5 x Eggs
This isn’t the first time I have made the lemon drizzle cake and it certainly won’t be the last! This was probably my best attempt yet and the consistency of the cake was almost perfect. A big bonus is that it doesn’t require many ingredients and is relatively cheap to make. It does however take around 45 minutes in total to make and is quite small in size (I made it in a small loaf silicone container) so it doesn’t last long!
- Preheat your oven to 180 (fan).
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add 30 grams of the sweetener.
- Grate both of the lemons and add the zest to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the bowl and mix together.
- Seperate 5 egg yolks, beat them and add them to the mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the mixture.
- Pour into a cake tray or similar and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the cake out and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the juice of 1 lemon and 30 grams of sweetener to make the drizzle.
- Pour over the top of the cake and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool and cut into 6 slices.
This is the only time I have made the lemon drizzle cake and actually enjoyed it so it may take a few times for you to get it exactly right. The original recipe for this stated 15 grams of sweetener for the drizzle but I didn’t find this to be enough and had to increase it as the top of the cake tasted way too sour! This cake does require a lot of sweetener but I’ve got such a sweet tooth that I don’t mind at all! and niether did my tasters because they absolutely loved it!